In conjunction with the College Athletic Department's annual Dig Pink fundraiser, the Office of Student Affairs has declared Saturday, October 20th, as our Ninth Annual Dig Pink Event. On this day, the entire college community is encouraged to wear pink and attend events taking place at the Brookhaven Gymnasium on the Ammerman Campus in Selden.
Prior to the event, Suffolk Sharks Breast Cancer Awareness T-shirts will be on sale at the Registrar's Offices on all three campuses and at the Athletic Department Offices on the Ammerman and Michael J. Grant campuses. You can also place orders for t-shirts via email to Joe Kosina, College Associate Director of Athletics at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cash and checks will be accepted as payment, with checks made payable to the Suffolk Community College Association. Please use the attached t-shirt order form to place your order in this manner.
Proceeds from the sale of these t-shirts, as well as all donations received on Saturday, will go to the Side-Out Foundation for Breast Cancer Awareness. The Side-Out Foundation was established to unite players and coaches to work toward the common goal of advancing breast cancer awareness, education and patient services. Last year our event raised over $3,000 bringing our eight-year total to $47,219—the most raised by any NJCAA institution over that time period.
There are numerous other ways the college community can support the October 20th effort:
· Women's basketball will be hosting a youth shooting clinic beginning at 9:00 a.m. in the Brookhaven Gymnasium
· Men's lacrosse will be hosting a youth clinic on the athletic fields beginning at 10:00 a.m.
' Men's baseball will scrimmage St. Joseph's - Brooklyn on the baseball field at 11:00 a.m.
· The women's volleyball team will be hosting Orange CC at 12:00 p.m. in the Brookhaven Gymnasium
· Men's soccer will be hosting a first round playoff game beginning at 1:00 p.m.
· Women's tennis will be hosting the Region XV Championships
· Cheer and Dance teams will be hosting a youth group and performing at 4:30 p.m.
· Men's basketball will be holding a Pink/White intra-squad scrimmage beginning at 5:00 p.m.
· Other kid-friendly events will be offered throughout the day including face painting, bouncy house and pony rides
· As part of the day's fundraising on October 20th, the Athletics Department will hold a gift basket raffle in the lobby of the Brookhaven Gymnasium starting at 10:00 a.m. and concluding at half-time of the men's basketball scrimmage. Winners need not be present. Gift baskets will include donations made by local businesses and restaurants.
For more information about the event, please contact Joe Kosina either through e-mail or at extension 4881. You can also check the athletics website www.sunysuffolkathletics.com for updates and schedules.